Minutes of Committee Meeting
Autumn 2008 (1)

EGRA Home Page
EGRA About Us
EGRA Committee
EGRA Membership
Contact EGRA
EGRA Current Issues
EGRA EGRA History
EGRA Local History
Emmer Green Book
EGRA Local Information
EGRA Planning Guidance
EGRA Recycling in Emmer Green
EGRA links
EGRA Newsletters
EGRA Minutes of Meetings
EGRA AGMs
EGRA Constitution


Tuesday 30th September 2008

Present: Margaret Ormonde, Diana Hartrup, Barry Prior, Kate Manton, Jill Verran, Cathi Edwards, Vera Bodman

1. Apologies Bill Harper, Carol Sutton, Tara Taylor

2. Minutes of the last meeting (Tuesday 8th July 2008) were approved.

3. Matters arising:

Committee Roles
(a) Committee discussed BH report on costs of maintaining sign and seats; general agreement was that the quotes were too high to be agreed to at present. Agreed (1) JV to ask Brian if he will repair loose brick on the base of the sign and (2) to ask the membership via email if they know of anyone who could undertake the work.
(b) Write-ups of roles – 6 in, MO encouraged others to complete.

25th Anniversary Celebrations
KM resigned from her position as chair of the sub-committee, BP to take over. KM to hand over as soon as possible. KM reported that she had secured the services of the Mayor for the event and asked Tara to approach the children’s entertainer again. BP to check the contract provided by the school for the hire of the hall. MO gave a number of options for publicity and asked for feedback. CE suggested we get pens printed with our name and logo; she will check out costs (c 11p per pen if 500 ordered).

Hill School
The Police are now resuming visits to the school.

Highdown School book awards
JV noted that there had been misinterpretation of what was meant by “community” in that the School had interpreted that as the school community whereas the committee had intended the wider community of Emmer Green. BH to approach the school.

Recruitment Drive
JV had good response from membership to deliver to Highdown Hill Road area. Only 4 new members resulted.

Subs owing
6 collected, 6 deleted because gone away. JV asked committee members still to chase to do so.

Emmer Green School safety
Funding and RBC involvement are in place. School will be sending letter to parents shortly asking for people to apply. RBC will assist with interviews. St Michael’s in Tilehurst has gone through this process and it has been successful. A parent at the Hill School has approached CE for help with setting up similar there. CE will signpost to the relevant people.

Summer Newsletter
Printed, and distributed as planned by DH.

Visit to Houses of Parliament
Successful day, 17 went. MO has asked 2 people to write something about the trip for the next newsletter. MO reminded the committee that the next trip will be to the recycling plant early next year.

2009 AGM
New venue required as St Barnabas Hall not available. CE to investigate using Hill Chapel hall.

Notice board
JV reported that 5 members are tidying up the notice board on a rota.

Planning
Rosehill development was permitted.


4. Treasurer’s Report



5. Feedback from Committees

NAG (Neighbourhood Action Group) Meeting.
27th August, BP and CE attended and were the only ‘lay’ people present. New sergeant in place for the area. Increase in burglaries in Emmer Green reported, many gaining access to the property or car keys through the front letter box. Anti-social behaviour on the fringes of Emmer Green. Mark Ralph reported that there may be some action regarding a crossing at Peppard Road/Surley Row. Speed awareness scheme for 10 days Kiln Road/Caversham Park Road – made a difference but back to ‘normal’ now that it is gone. Police pointed out that NAG should have its own secretary. CE looking into publicity for NAG to raise awareness.

SCCF
VB attended 25th September. Various bids are in for improved street lighting including corner Kidmore End Road and Grove Road, decision is 2 months away. No crime figures were provided. Same issue with access through front door letter box as noted in NAG meeting.

NRYP
TT and MO to attend AGM on 16th July

Age Concern 50++
MO called to find out what meetings are coming up, next one will be early 2009, no date as yet.
Future of Reading’s Housing Meeting – BP attended. 66 people there in total, 31 from RBC. This meeting was looking at the refurbishment and expansion of Reading’s housing stock. Nothing planned in this area.

Future of Reading’s Housing Meeting
BP attended. 66 people there in total, 31 from RBC. This meeting was looking at the refurbishment and expansion of Reading’s housing stock. Nothing planned in this area.


6. Any other business

Winter newsletter
Planned for end November.

Forthcoming meetings
Warren & District RA AGM 21st October – MO; NAG 29th October – BP/CE; Reading 2020 Forum – MO


7. Date and venue of next meeting
Tuesday 18th November at DH house, 39 Kiln Road at 8 pm.