Minutes of the 2009 AGM

EGRA Home Page
EGRA About Us
EGRA Committee
EGRA Membership
Contact EGRA
EGRA Current Issues
EGRA EGRA History
EGRA Local History
Emmer Green Book
EGRA Local Information
EGRA Planning Guidance
EGRA Recycling in Emmer Green
EGRA links
EGRA Newsletters
EGRA Minutes of Meetings
EGRA AGMs
EGRA Constitution

MINUTES OF THE 25th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE EMMER GREEN RESIDENTS' ASSOCIATION, HELD AT THE GRACE CHAPEL, EMMER GREEN ON 28th APRIL 2009

The meeting was chaired by Mrs Margaret Ormonde, and 54 others were present.

1. APOLOGIES
Anne Ayres, Dot and Arthur Barker, Sadie Cooke, Gordon Crutchfield, Susie Downer, Annette Hendry, Sheila Higginson, Margaret Simpson, Brian Warren, Richard Willis, Vera Bodman, Maurice Hicks.

2. THE MINUTES OF THE 24th AGM held on the 29th April 2008 had been circulated and it was agreed they were an accurate record of the proceedings. They were signed by the Chairman.

3. MATTERS ARISING
None

4. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Copies of her report had already been circulated to all members and they were also available on the Association’s website www.map-reading.co.uk/egra. The following lists the topics where additional comments were noted:

25th Anniversary Celebrations
Paper copies of the Chairman’s report and an invitation to the Celebrations were delivered to all members.
The Chairman asked if any of the audience were at the inaugural meeting 25 years ago - three people put their hands up.
The celebrations are informal and a family occasion; the Chairman thanked Kate Manton and Barry Prior for their work towards the celebrations.

Website
EGRA is fortunate to have a comprehensive website, managed by member Clive Ormonde. The name is to be simplified to www.egra.co.uk and will be more independent, it will be some months before the new site is up and running. The old name will continue to work for some time after the new one goes live.

Outings
The Chairman reviewed the trip to the House of Commons, through Reading East MP and the more recent trip to Reading’s new recycling plant, which was over-subscribed. There will be a public launch of the visitor centre in the summer with several open days planned.


Planning and infrastructure
EGRA encourages local democracy in planning matters, offering guidance and support. EGRA responded formally to RBC’s Development Management and Site Allocations document. We also monitor what is happening in Oxfordshire and the 3rd bridge.

Traffic
Two more phases of the Local Area Enhancement Scheme affecting roads in Caversham Park Village will follow in due course.
There has been a recent revision to the bus routes and timetables. Generally people have welcomed the changes. A limited service has been provided to cover the loss of the Marchwood Avenue diversion.

Police
EGRA attends the Upper Caversham Neighbourhood Action Group meetings. These are currently on hold due to lack of a suitable meeting venue. It will be relaunched once a venue is found and EGRA will help to promote it. 2 police surgeries are coming up: May 6th 12-2 and May 16th 10-2 at the Emmer Green shops.

Age Concern 50++ meetings
EGRA attend these, which are regularly well attended with afternoon meetings at St Barnabas Church Hall – next meeting is in the autumn. They may be organising walks in future.

Membership:
The Membership Secretary, Jill Verran, told the meeting that there are now 476 members grown from 200 when she took over the task. She asked that members respond promptly to membership renewal notices. 56% of members receive regular updates by email – which saves EGRA time and money. Jill also pointed out that membership remains at the same fee as when EGRA first started: £1.00 per year.

Local organisations
EGRA continues to work closely with CADRA and other neighbouring organisations with a focus on partnership working. The chairman also expressed thanks to the local councillors for their hard work.


5. ACCOUNTS AND TREASURER’S REPORT
Bill Harper briefly introduced the accounts for 2008 and noted the admin expenses had been modest. He noted the book and other prizes given to local schools. The large balance would be reduced by the 25th anniversary celebrations. He expressed thanks to Julian Pearce for auditing the accounts since 1984.

Adoption of the accounts.
Proposer: Barry Prior
Seconder: Jill Verran

6. ELECTION OF COMMITTEE, OFFICERS AND AUDITOR
The Chairman thanked all those who have helped during the past year both on and off the committee. Three committee members have decided to step down: Kate Manton, secretary for the last two years – thanks to Kate. Tara Taylor and Diana Hartrup will be committee support, rather than on the committee, and continue with their current roles. Six committee members will continue: Margaret Ormonde (chairman), Barry Prior (Vice Chairman), Bill Harper (Treasurer), Jill Verran (Membership Secretary), Vera Bodman and Cathi Edwards. The Chairman thanked Cathi for her work in attending the NAG meetings and working with Emmer Green Primary School. Carol Gibson will be joining the committee. Thanks to Bob Cruikshank for his continuing work in supporting the committee. Janette Joyce will take over the auditing of accounts.

Proposer: Clive Ormonde
Seconder: Owen Jewiss

The Chairman thanked Jill Verran for her work as Membership Secretary and gave her a small token of appreciation for her help and support.

Barry Prior offered his thanks to the Chairman for her work over the last year.

7. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Problems with mail deliveries
Various members reported issues with mail deliveries in Rosehill Park, The Ridings, Tower Close and Chiltern Court – delivered late and incorrectly. The Chairman will take up with Royal Mail.

Estate Agents
Brian Bernard pointed out that this has closed and asked if EGRA knew what was happening. The Chairman to find out.

Village sign
Brian Bernard offered to help with maintenance although the Chairman explained that we have been advised to leave it to weather but referred Brian to Barry Prior if help is needed. Jill Verran pointed out that the plinth needs work and asked for volunteers to help with relaying the bricks. Anyone interested in helping should contact her or the Chairman.

Improvement to the local environment
A member reported that the state of the wood between Marshland Square and Rotherfield Way has improved recently.

25th Celebrations
Barry Prior explained that all members should have received an invitation for the event on May 9th. He asked for help during the afternoon – issuing tickets (1/2 hour slot each); serving out refreshments; cutting up the cake; clearing up after 5pm. If members can help please talk to Barry.


8. PRESENTATION BY RICHARD BENNETT OF THE READING CIVIC SOCIETY
Richard Bennett talked about the history of the Civic Society and its achievements.